This week the author Jen Hatmaker wore only 7 articles of clothing for the entire month. If you know me well, this would be above and beyond easy. I thought this would balance the difficulty that was food and what is to come. I can and have easily pick a pair of yoga pants, capri sweats, 2 tank tops, a over shirt, cardigan, and tennis shoes. I can tell you how that will end, pretty boringly. I probably would have learned nothing. I am in no way trying to pick on those who would have great difficulty. If there is one thing we all know with out a shadow of doubt it is that we are all different and struggle with different things. The thought of this of this week's challenge upsets me for a different reason than I have to give up a portion of my wardrobe. The fact that it would be too easy bothers me. I have been pregnant or nursing for about 5 years, and in this time I have put on a lot of weight. I have refused to buy new clothes in the size I am because I have it in my head that I will lose weight. The majority of what I own is tank tops, yoga/sweat pants, and leggings. I care to an extent not to look too slobbish in public, but at home I am totally slobbish. We aren't called to a life of comfort, and this is just too comfortable for me. This is a place in my life that I am continually struggling with, I need to take more care with my appearance. Despite the saying "Never judge a book by it cover" we definitely take that first impression very seriously. (OR at least I do) And to be honest, I highly doubt I ever give off the best first visual impression. And I think the only word worthy of describing it all is laziness. Pure and simple laziness.
This book is about excess. I will be honest, my wardrobe is not bursting at the seams...but my laziness is. God is moving my heart in a different direction, which may seem weird, but that is okay with me.
My challenge for myself is to wear 7 articles of clothing a day. What you say? Yea, I know....total black sheep. I'm not going to make it easy for myself in this task. Pairs of things count as one, shoes...one item. I must have bottoms on, top on, socks, and shoes. That's four right there. Three more to go. I don't know what they will be, but something. I have to do something with my hair, brush it out and then ponytail it.....doesn't matter, I just have to do something. And I must have it all done by 8am. Why you say? Because seriously, if the kids and I have no where to be....if I get dressed it sometimes doesn't happen till after lunch. LAZY!
This week I am giving up my lazy, comfortable habits. I will get up and rejoice in the day that my Lord has made. I will clothe myself and attack the day with a whole-heartedness. When I am feeling tired and ready to give in, I will lean on the my Lord to fill me with joy and a sense of urgency because the day will not wait on me nor will the tasks He has in mind for me. I won't waste another day pouting because I do not look the way I want or wallowing in laziness.
Does this make sense?
No comments:
Post a Comment